– Support building an anti-hunger movement in Colorado?
– Love meeting new people?
– Want to empower others to be engaged in the political process?
– Like working as part of a team and developing leadership in others?
– Enjoy working evenings and weekends?
– Identify as an organizer at heart?
– Approach your work with a racial equity lens?
Metro Caring, Colorado’s leading anti-hunger organization, is accepting applications for our Community Activator. This is a new, additional position within our growing Community Activation team.
Community Activators are the backbone of the anti-hunger movement in our communities and are responsible for building and empowering the community-driven infrastructure that will mobilize Metro Caring members to action in advocacy, organizing, and legislative spaces. Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is required.
While training and onboarding will be provided, we are interested in applicants who have some of the following skills, abilities, and experience:
• Knowledge and/or experience working with community-based organizations (including neighborhood, religious, and civic organizations) and willingness to do outreach to community groups and leaders
• Ability to implement organizing plans and operate autonomously in the field
• Cycles of political, issue, education, or electoral campaign work or other relevant experience
• Knowledge of unions and/or issues that affect working people
• Knowledge of voter contact and voter protection work
• Experience overseeing a team of volunteers and setting direction and goals with the team.
• Ability to develop and empower adult leaders
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Metro Caring Community Activator” in the subject line, and title your documents “First Name_Last Name_CA”. Please use your cover letter to communicate why you are excited to work to help build an anti-hunger movement in Colorado, highlight any experience you have recruiting, managing, training, and organizing others, and highlight any of the above skills, abilities, and experience above that you have. This position will be filled on an ongoing basis. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled; however, priority will be given to those applicants who submit their materials before 5:00 PM MT on Friday, September 18, 2020.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
POSITION TITLE: Metro Caring Community Activator
REPORTING TO: Metro Caring Senior Manager of Strategy and Communications
LOCATION: The Metro Caring office is located at 1100 E 18th Ave, Denver, CO 80218. Onboarding and training will take place at the office, with most of the work taking place remotely.
STARTING DATES: No earlier than November 2, 2020. We are committed to finding the right addition to our amazing team.
COMPENSATION: $40,000 – $47,000 full time, nonexempt annual salary. Metro Caring offers a fulfilling workplace and comprehensive benefits package, including: joining a diverse, passionate, enthusiastic and collaborative team; 120 hours per year of paid time off; paid sick leave; paid holidays; 401K retirement plan with a 3 percent employer-paid match; and competitive employee health, dental, short-term disability and family leave plans.
• Bilingual in both Spanish and English required
• Highly relational and strong interpersonal communication with diverse communities
• Energized by interacting with various people across lines of difference and the ability to communicate with a diverse group of community stakeholders and help them connect to their power
• At least one year successfully mobilizing, organizing, and engaging community around issues
• Ability to work well independently, highly motivated and a self-starter
• Can interpret vision and innovation into implementation
The Metro Caring Community Activator duties include:
Organizing, Empowering, and Developing Community Leaders
• Oversee and organize community members around issues they are passionate about for systems change, determined by the root causes of hunger
• Effectively identify, recruit, and manage Community Activation Team members, supporters, community leaders, and engage Metro Caring staff to achieve Metro Caring’s policy, legislative, public education, and civic engagement goals.
• Work with the Communications Team to identify and train members to be certified spokespeople
• Work with members to create ongoing education opportunities for the community around the issues that they care about to mobilize them toward action and civic engagement – this includes workshops, seminars and other opportunities
• Identify and develop opportunities for leaders to take bold action leading to an equitable food system and amelioration of root causes of hunger
• Cultivate the stories and data needed for any related grant writing, reporting, earned media opportunities, advancing coalition work, and legislative needs.
• Other duties as needed
Community Partner Engagement
• Develop and maintain relationships with strategic partners who engage in collective impact, resource navigation and other equity/justice impacts
• Identify opportunities to engage, on a regular and consistent basis, in community and partner events.
• Participate in coalitions with values-aligned organizations to build power and impact around issues that matter in our community and contribute to food insecurity
Culture of Engagement
• Participate in applicable team meetings and monthly all-staff meetings/retreats
• Attending and completing two volunteer shifts within first week of employment
• Complete a quarterly shift in another program or department
• Join volunteer gatherings (brief, twice daily meetings for shift volunteers) at least weekly
The Metro Caring Community Activator must be self-motivated and outgoing, with strong verbal and writing skills. They must be able to keep composure in a stressful environment and possess the ability to juggle multiple priorities and projects and meet deadlines under pressure. They must have a desire to learn on the job and meet any challenge with a positive attitude with the ability to hold yourself and others accountable for reaching goals.
Applicants must have reliable transportation. Relocation costs are not covered by Metro Caring.
Metro Caring is an equal opportunity employer. The organization is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all backgrounds. Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), veterans, women, first generation Americans, and those that identify as LGBTQ are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.