To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Director of Sales
Reports To: Chief Marketing & Sales Officer
Job Status: Full Time, Exempt
Summary of Position
The Director of Sales is an important member of the Motherlove marketing and sales team, working under the direction of the Chief Marketing & Sales Officer, and overseeing the management and activities of the sales team focused on the domestic US market. This role’s main objective is to grow top-line revenue domestically, ensuring gross margin goals are met while building the Motherlove brand in the Natural, Specialty, FDM, and eCommerce channels. This role requires a highly motivated individual with proven leadership and sales management experience, with the ability to help lead a high-functioning internal team and maintain or create strong partnerships with external stakeholders. Candidate must have a strong track record of building sales and managing sales teams for emerging companies in the natural product/consumer packaged goods space.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership & Management
• Work closely with executive leadership to develop/refine and implement strategic sales plan, operating budget, and forecasts to grow sales in the domestic Natural, Specialty, FDM, and eCommerce channels.
• Effectively lead, mentor, develop, and inspire the domestic US sales team, providing direction to the National Sales Managers, Wholesale Manager, and Sales Support Coordinator, while positively contributing to a high-performing team dynamic.
• Provide oversight of our broker partner(s) and other external partnerships related to sales management, ensuring strong relationships, accountability, effective planning cycles and execution, and optimized returns.
• Develop a point of view and collaborate with the marketing team on assessing industry trends, economic indicators, customer and consumer needs, and competition to inform Motherlove’s sales strategy and ability to remain competitive and innovative in a dynamic market.
• Responsible for day-to-day management of sales team and performance reviews.
• Work closely with leadership and the sales team to identify opportunities and execution plans to grow existing accounts and expand into new accounts.
• Direct channel and new account development activity, help negotiate and close sales and distribution agreements with new accounts, oversee and execute account setup and activation.
• Initiate and maintain strong customer relationships with eye on competitive advantage and longevity.
Measurement & Analytics
• Contribute to defining/refining and manage utilization of KPIs, sales reporting, syndicated data, and other internal or 3rd party analytic tools across the sales team, including mentoring and training team members as necessary.
• Analyze data and utilize measurement tools to inform sales priorities and goals, track profitability metrics, ROI, and sales performance, and inform the continuous improvement of various sales initiatives across all domestic sales channels.
Account Relationship Management & Growth
• Participate in customer planning meetings for reviews, resets, launches, joint expectation setting and planning as needed, typically overseeing and/or directly working with broker(s) and our National Sales Managers.
• Work closely with broker(s), our National Sales Managers, and existing account relationships to maximize sales volume, market share, shelf presence/POGs/line expansions, and protect premier product and pricing position.
• Provide oversight for planning of trade programs including promotions, deals, merchandising, POS activity, couponing, and category- and account-specific opportunities.
• Contribute to product positioning, packaging/bundling, trade promotion, and pricing strategies to secure market leadership in Motherlove’s categories, with an eye on long-term market share.
Customer & Internal Development
• Help identify or refine training, collateral, and other support elements to strengthen sales.
• Participate in planning and execution of new product development and launches.
• Oversee the sales team’s utilization of the sales budget, ensuring adherence to target profit margins.
• Represent Motherlove at trade shows to promote product and support new and existing customer relationships.
Perform other duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree; MBA a plus.
• Minimum 8+ years of sales and/or sales management experience in the CPG industry, and ideally in the Natural, Specialty, and FDM channels.
• Experience developing and executing strategic and tactical sales plans to encompass sales goals or quotas, profitability, customer programs, distribution objectives, and customer/program/category data analysis.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, along with excellent interpersonal communication and social skills; ability to build strong, trust-based relationships.
• Attention to detail, follow-through, and ability to manage multiple priorities while working with the ‘big picture’ in mind, combined with a can-do, solution-oriented attitude.
• Savvy negotiator capable of finding a mutual sweet spot amongst negotiating parties.
• A natural ‘builder’ with the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, collaborative, fast-paced environment and contribute to the foundations for growth; practitioner of a ‘continuous improvement’ mindset comfortable with creating, following, and improving processes.
• Strong self-motivation and ‘self-starter’; ability to execute on responsibilities with minimal supervision to deliver on time and within budget.
• Understanding and appreciation of the natural products industry.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office platform, Google Docs, CRM, mobile apps, and ability to adopt additional role-related technology platforms with ease.
• Team player with ability to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with co-workers, vendors, customers, and third-party partners.
• Travel requirement of up to 5-10%.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
• This position is based in a typical office environment, with a quiet-to-moderately loud noise level, with light traffic and typical office disquiet.
• This position requires frequent use of standard office equipment including telephone, computer, and copier.
• Employee will be required to sit for several hours each day but will also need mobility and ability to walk or stand for periods of time.
• Required to lift up to 25 lbs on occasion.
• May require working under stressful conditions due to deadlines and time constraints.
Typically, Mondays through Thursdays 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, and Fridays 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Additional time may be required for duties as assigned.
Please Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. Duties, responsibilities or qualifications may change at any time with or without notice.
Please send post inquiries to Simla Somturk at email@example.com.