Quality & Safety Manager
We are Natural Food Works, a specialty food manufacturer that offers contract manufacturing and private label services to our clients while operating a portfolio of brands. We specialize in consumer food products made with better-for-you ingredients at the highest quality standards. Our facility is FSMA certified as SQF Level 2 and we produce with Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Organic, Kosher, and USDA certifications. We are owned by operators who started out running brands and appreciate the difficulties that founders, and brand owners face because we’ve been there ourselves. Our mission is to improve the consumer food landscape by bringing transparency and efficiency to the mass production of consumer premium food products and the operation of burgeoning CPG brands whether they are our clients or our own.
The Quality and Safety Manager will have the primary responsibility for the development, oversight and leadership of Food Safety and Quality Assurance and Safety for for Natural Food Works. This position is responsible for the execution of integrated Food Safety and Quality Management Systems, from supplier qualification through distribution. The Manager participates in cross functional teams to ensure effective implementation of quality initiatives and processes while leading a team of Quality professionals including Food Safety and Quality supervisors, coordinators and technicians, as needed. The role requires understanding multiple processes and an ability to handle competing priorities while approaching their work in the most efficient way possible.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Execution of Food Safety and Quality Management Systems (FSQMS) integrated across all departments, functions and activities from raw material and vendor selection through finished goods distribution.
• Plan, direct, and oversee the day-to-day operation of the Quality Department
• Train technicians and manage their tasks
• Equip department and maintain equipment
• Maintain current Hold Log
• Maintain record-keeping of department efforts, including results of all measurements, evaluations, and judgements.
• Develop and plan company procedures for safe and clean working conditions
• Lead or perform company self-inspections for sanitation and safety
• Develop/manage Process Control procedures
• Develop/manage HACCP programs & Quality Plans
• Certify new raw material vendors (facility inspections, product cuttings, etc.)
• Conduct ongoing evaluations of vendor products with feedback as necessary
• Participate in Sensory evaluations
• Receive, maintain, and implement product and processing specifications from customers that supply them
• Assist production in responding to customer problems and complaints
• Assist Sales and Marketing with customer visits and tours
• Assist Research and Development in producing new products, including monitoring test batches, technical assistance with R&D specification writing, producing nutritional content information, and label development
• Assist production department with quality-based packaging, processing, formulation, and ingredient research as needed
• Provide for strong and efficient documentation control system: specifications updated, management of change, accuracy and adequacy
• Manage NFW expectations for suppliers and vendors. Support vendor management efforts through facility audits, analytical & microbiological services, data review and interpretation.
• Communicate performance to appropriate personnel and work with them to resolve issues.
• Coordinate closely with plant operations to ensure effective communication and execution occurs across the entire quality team.
• Active participation in brand meetings, and communicate professionally with customers
What Would Make You Stand Out
• Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Microbiology or similar education or a combination of education and experience at an Operations management level is preferred.
• HACCP Certified, PCQI Certified, and SQF Practitioner (or strong understanding of the program requirements)
• At least 5 years of experience in a food manufacturing environment with both USDA, SQF, and FDA regulated industry. Strong Understanding of FSMA.
• A strong communicator, with prior supervisory experience in Quality Control or Operations within the food manufacturing industry.
• Thorough knowledge of and capability with supporting the investigation of food safety and quality risks associated with food products through risk assessment, product evaluation, specification review and development, testing results evaluation and packaging assessment.
• Experience at a small-medium sized food production facility and demonstrate proficiency and dependability in this role.
• HACCP certified and able to create and maintain plans, company SOPs and policies, implementing an appropriate SQF level, ensuring our manufacturing facility is up to code and managing any audits and ongoing compliance to ensure GFSI and HACCP compliance.
• Excellent communicator able to report trends and communicate key food safety and quality parameters, issues and ideas to the rest of the management group in a timely manner to ensure the production facility is kicked off on the right foot.
• Results oriented person who understands the need of safety being balanced efficiently with the needs of the operation
Competitive salary dependent upon experience in the range of $70,000 to $90,000, that also accrues PTO based on Company policy. Full time candidates are eligible for medical insurance coverage. We are looking for a long-term employee to grow with the Company and are in search for a personable, intelligent, and reliable individual to join our team. Experience in the retail food industry is strongly preferred. Please contact us with your resume and availability for interview. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for further consideration.